JOB TITLE: Technology Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Intermountain Technology
REPORTS TO: Director of Intermountain Technology, Deputy Director, Zone Leader
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SUMMARY: This position within the Intermountain Technology Department is accountable for ensuring continuity of user requests for computer users and the customer experience associated with the services requested. Under the direction and/or consultation of Zone Leader, provide the expertise necessary to support technology related project goals based on the needs of the end-user(s) and the agency. Rely on knowledge and experience to successfully execute a variety of complicated tasks.
Specific Coverage area has not been determined for this position. (Umatilla / Morrow Counties)
240 Day Contract (Pro-Rated for remainder of 2016-2017 School Year)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as the first point of contact for problem resolution and technical assistance from IMESD user community.
- Take technical support requests from users utilizing the IT HelpDesk software.
- Assign, monitor tickets and manage requests with the HelpDesk system software.
- Follow-up on customer service satisfaction
- Trouble-shoot computer, software, and telecom configuration on site, and over the phone, utilizing remote management tools as required.
- Collaborate with IMESD Information Technology department staff to address requests for service and solve specific problems.
- Using established guidelines utilize IT purchasing system for technology purchases.
- Assist with planning and project management for the design, implementation, and support of technology solutions.
- Isolate problems from symptoms, determine alternatives, recommend a solution, and effectively communicate these aspects to management, peers and users.
- Maintain an expert technical skill level in multiple aspects of technology.
- Assist with day to day maintenance and operations of server systems and supporting software.
- Responsible for daily system backups, verification, and restoration of data.
- Provides documentation, project tracking and management reporting.
- Maintain a current knowledge of computers, servers, switches, wireless, access points, and other misc. equipment.
- Familiar with basic wiring technology, modems, telco, and other aspects of data communications.
- Understand and use diagnostic tools and software for network problem determination.
- Assist with coordination for computer, server, and network equipment purchases and upgrades.
- Create, maintain, prioritize, schedule and communicate a list of tasks to be completed to Director and/or Zone Leader at a minimum of monthly basis.
- Develop specifications for a variety of technology projects. This includes determining end-user needs, cost-effectiveness, setting timelines, and communicating with appropriate people.
- Take immediate action, seeking assistance when necessary in response to emergency and outage management situations.
- Understand the customer environment, both current, and future needs.
- Communicate effectively, both in person and on the phone, with customers, other support service agencies and vendors, at all levels.
- Encourage team members to increase networking technology expertise and experiences.
- Develop and maintain systems documentation utilizing SharePoint, typically for multiple customers and/or sites.
- Establish and maintain an effective working relationship with local districts, customers, vendors, staff, and other ESDs.
- Handle sensitive and privileged information with the highest degree of confidentiality and integrity.
- Perform other reasonable duties that from time to time may be assigned to meet the usual and unusual demands placed on the organization
- Comply with ESD Performance Standards.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must have reliable insured transportation for travel throughout ESD service area.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Network experience with appropriate education, certification, training, or equivalent required. Individual will have a minimum of three years of experience in the networking field or a related area preferred.
- Proficient skills in customer service and satisfaction.
- LAN and WAN including telecom and Internet access.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
- Clear understanding of networking, computer hardware, software, and their interaction.
- Willingness to learn and adapt to new systems and procedures.
- Working knowledge of technology planning, E-Rate and budgeting processes.
- Ability to focus, organize, and prioritize with ability to work independently without detailed supervision.
- Ability to troubleshoot, think outside the box.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team member with strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills required.
SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS: A Technology Specialist will have knowledge in an extensive variety of software.
- Operating Systems
- Server Administration
- Microsoft Office
- Filtering and Monitoring
- Remote Access
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Technology Specialist will be required to travel.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This job description is to be used as a guide and may be changed or updated at any time. It is in no way intended to serve, in part or in whole, as an offer of employment or an employment agreement. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
InterMountain ESD is a governmental educational agency serving as liaison between local school districts within Umatilla, Morrow, Grant, Union, Wheeler, Wallowa, Baker, and Malheur counties and the Oregon Department of Education. Cooperative methods are used to provide specialized programs and services in an efficient and economic manner to allow equal educational opportunities to the students in our service area.
Pursuant to Oregon law, some positions require a fingerprint-based criminal history investigation. If position meets criteria, successful applicant will be required to meet the requirements of this law.
InterMountain ESD complies with all state and federal rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, marital status, or status within any other protected group. This holds true for all InterMountain ESD employment practices.
Qualifying veterans and disabled veterans may obtain preference by submitting as verification of eligibility a copy of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214 or 215) or a letter from the US Dept. of Veterans' Affairs indicating receipt of a non-service connected pension to your application. Disabled Veterans must also submit a copy of their Veteran's disability preference letter from the Dept. of Veteran Affairs, unless the information is included in the DD Form 214/215.