IMESD holds first meeting, swears in new board members
PENDLETON – Wednesday night (Dec. 8) marked the first-ever InterMountain ESD Board of Directors meeting. All seven newly-elected IMESD board members took their oaths of office, as well as drew a 2- or 4-year term length, lottery style. Jack Matlock was elected IMESD Board Chair, while Kathy Neal was elected Vice Chair.
• Kathy Neal (Zone 1 – Representing Morrow, Ione, Ukiah, Pilot Rock, Umatilla school districts, term: 4 years, ending June 30, 2015)
• Kelly Bissinger (Zone 2 – Representing Hermiston School District, term: 2 years, ending June 30, 2013)
• Verneda Wagner (Zone 3 – Representing Helix, Milton-Freewater, Athena-Weston, Stanfield, Echo school districts, term: 4 years, ending June 30, 2015)
• Jack Matlock (Zone 4 – Representing Pendleton School District, term: 2 years, ending June 30, 2013)
• Merle Comfort (Zone 5 – Representing La Grande, Imbler, Cove, Elgin school districts, term: 2 years, ending June 30, 2013)
• Dale Bingham (Zone 6 – Representing Baker, Pine Eagle, Burnt River, North Powder, Union school districts, term: 4 years, ending June 30, 2015)
• Joe McElligott (Zone 7 – Representing At Large in Baker, Union, Umatilla and Morrow counties, term: 4 years, ending June 30, 2015)
The IMESD is the result of a merger between the Umatilla-Morrow and Union-Baker ESDs, which will take effect June 1, 2011.The IMESD board does not officially function until July 1, 2011. However, the elected board members are delegated the authority to act as a planning board in order to prepare for the efficient start-up of the new agency on June 1, 2011. The planning board will focus upon the following 10 areas in the coming months:
1. Election of Board Chairman and Vice-Chairman
2. Designation of Board Terms
3. Approval of Agency Policies
4. Approval of a Local Service Plan
5. Hiring of a Superintendent
6. Approval of Agency Brand
7. Approval of Budget Calendar
8. Approval of Employee Contracts
9. Approval of Staff Based upon Superintendent Recommendation
10. Functions of a Traditional School Board as Determined by O.R.S.
This Board will continue to meet monthly until InterMountain ESD becomes official and the Union-Baker ESD and Umatilla-Morrow ESD boards conclude their terms. During Wednesday night’s meeting, the IMESD Board also selected its regular meeting date, which will be on the third Wednesday of every month, starting in January. The Board will alternate its meeting location between Pendleton and La Grande, with its January meeting in Pendleton. The UMESD Board of Directors will also move its regular monthly meeting to the third Wednesday of the month. Times for these meetings are to be announced later.
During the Jan. 19, 2011, IMESD meeting, Board members will approve all policies for the new agency, approve the Local Service Plan, hire a superintendent, approve the IMESD budget calendar and review new branding options.