Professional Development and Resources for Teachers and Districts
Below are PD opportunities and Resources for teachers and districts in our InterMountain ESD region working with diverse populations.
Professional Development available:
- Professional Learning Community (PLC) for English Language Development (ELD) teachers: We started a PLC for ELD teachers this school year 2018-19 in the region and we meet quarterly. We will continue this next school year 2019-20. Please contact Ashley Harsin, EL Specialist, if you or any ELD teachers in your district are interested.
- Learning Walks: To allow teachers to visit and watch numerous classrooms from around the region, outside their own school or district, while having a dialogue with an instructional coach and other teachers around strategies, culture, and other takeaways.
- Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) Overview PD
- Description: SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol) Overview will guide participants through the 8 components of the SIOP model and most of the 30 features. The training will support content teachers for sheltering instruction for English Learners and engaging ALL learners.
Upcoming PD/Workshop Opportunities (click on text to get to link):
- Making Content Comprehensible, Grades K-12, June 17th
- Session Description: This session will focus on literacy/language development across the content areas. When students use language actively to work through content, they store information in long-term memory and they are able to apply what they learn to different contexts and situations. A focus on academic vocabulary, language functions, and structures helps students develop a robust understanding of the topics they are studying. As you know, research has shown that sheltered strategies that are designed for ELs can benefit all students because they emphasize hands-on learning, collaboration, critical thinking, and deep exploration of content.
- SIOP National Conference in July-follow link for information about conference!, (Please contact Ashley Harsin, contact info below, if interested)
School Wide Writing Reform Workshops with Yolanda Westerberg
Session topics will include:
- Yearlong Planning-Start with the Calendar
- Common Terminology across grade levels
- Different Products, Different Structures
- What is a Mini-Lesson and how do I teach one?
- Making a Roadmap for Instruction
- Creating a Community of writers
- Getting started-the first ten days of school
- Writing is a skill-teaching stamina, originality and enthusiasm
- Writing Process made easier
- Writing about Reading and Taking Neat Notes
*School Wide Writing Reform K-2 with Yolanda Westerberg, August 12th
*School Wide Writing Reform 3-5 with Yolanda Westerberg, August 13th
- OCDE Project GLAD Tier I Training-follow link for information about workshop! (Please contact Ashley Harsin, contact info below, if interested)
Resources (click on text to get to link):
-Prep for ELPA21: ELPA21 Website, ELPAC, Lumos Learning
*GLAD Units, The user name is teacher and the password is page.
-Coming soon for checkout- Virtual Reality Kits for your Classroom
Please contact Ashley Harsin, English Learner Specialist: