The University of Oregon's GK-12 Science Outreach Program provides graduate students as resources for teaching hands-on science and mathematics in elementary and middle schools. The program works in partnership with the InterMountain ESD to provide inquiry-based curriculum to our partner schools. The fellows spend approximately one day a week assisting with a variety of in-school activities.
Increase student knowledge and appreciation of math and physical science.
- Provide fellows experience in delivering science and math education.
- Increase student achievement.
- Enhance teachers' knowledge of physical science and mathematics content.
- Provide assistance with Oregon’s requirement for "scientific inquiry work samples."
- Enhance science teaching using science kit-based instruction.
- Improve fellows' communication skills, enhance content knowledge and develop teaching skills.
- Prepare fellows for careers that encourage or require community outreach.
- Increase adoption of kit-based science curricula.
Kit Assignment by Grade Level
- Kindergarten – Wood and Paper
- First Grade – Balance and Motion
- Second Grade – Solids and Liquids
- Third Grade - Physics of Sound
- Fourth Grade – Magnetism and Electricity
- Fifth Grade – Mixtures and Solution
Request a Science Kit
To request a kit, email Lizette.berryessaimesd.k12.or.us (subject: RE%3A%20Science%20Kit%20Request...) .