Home Schooling

Home Schooling Requirements

(More information about Oregon laws, policies and answers regarding home schooling can be found on the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) website.)

Parents or Guardians must meet the following two requirements to home school in Oregon:

1. Notification

Parents/guardians of children between the ages of six (provided that the birth date is on or before September 1) and eighteen must notify their local ESD of intent to teach their child/children at home. In order for us to keep our records current, we ask you notify us with changes, including address or academic status. Oregon law requires you notify the IMESD if you move out of Morrow, Umatilla, Union or Baker counties so that we may remove your child/children from our records.

  • Notify your local Education Service District (ESD), of your intent to home school your child by registering online. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • For questions, please e-mail homeschoolatimesd.k12.or.us
  • Non-electronic registrations also accepted. Click here for printable form.

2. Testing

A qualified, neutral test proctor must administer an approved test before August 15th at the end of grades 3, 5, 8, and 10. If your child has never attended public or private school, the first test must be completed prior to the end of grade 3 and continue to the end of grades 5, 8, and 10.  If your child was withdrawn from public school, they are exempt from testing for 18 months; students then follow the standard testing schedule.

Testing Information for 2018

Tuesday May 8-
 Peace Lutheran Church– Grades 1-12
9th and Carden, Pendleton 541-276-7592

Wednesday May 9-
Nazarene Church of Hermiston– Grades 1-12
1520 W. Orchard Ave. Hermiston 541-567-3677

Due to low numbers, there will be NO TESTING SCHEDULED in La Grande this year. Please plan accordingly.

Testing Times for ALL locations

Grade 3: 9:00-11:30

Grades 4-12: 9:00-11:45

Grades 1-2: TBA*

*The starting times for grades 1 & 2 will be determined after the registration deadline. Parents will be notified of the starting time prior to the testing date. If time is a factor in whether or not your child can test, please send a separate registration check for grades 1 and/or 2 to make it easy to refund those tests if necessary.

Online Schooling

If your child is enrolled in an online school such as Connections Academy, Baker Web Academy, K-12 Online, etc., you do not need to provide notice of home school. Even though your child is learning from home, they are actually enrolled in a public school.


Parents/guardians are responsible for curriculum, including selection and purchase costs. Typically, each county has an organized Home School Association that can assist in curriculum selection and advice. The IMESD does not offer curriculum consulting or purchasing services.

Educational Progress

Upon request from the ESD, test results must be submitted for evaluation of satisfactory educational progress, as pursuant to OAR 581-021-0026(5) after grades 3, 5, 8 and 10 are completed. If the ESD determines satisfactory progress has been made, the parent is allowed to continue to teach their child at home, in accordance with Oregon Law. If the ESD determines satisfactory progress has not been made, a plan of assistance may be put into effect according to the Oregon Administrative Rules governing home schooling.

Interscholastic Activities

Home schooled students are eligible to participate in interscholastic activities at their resident public school. This eligibility is contingent upon the student receiving a test score at or above the twenty-third percentile on an examination from the list adopted by the State Board of Education. This examination must be taken at the end of the school year (August 15) and shall be used to determine eligibility for the following school year. The test results are to be submitted to the student's resident district, and to the ESD. A school district may adopt alternative requirements as provided by school board policy. Please contact your resident school district if you have questions regarding interscholastic activities.

Special Education Services

When IMESD receives notice of a child on an IEP being home taught, it will notify the resident district. As required by law, the resident district will offer the parent opportunity for the child to receive special education and related services if the child were enrolled in the district; and opportunity for an IEP meeting to consider providing special education and related services to the child with a disability in conjunction with home schooling.


Students who are home schooled do not earn credits for graduation. Furthermore, ESDs do not award diplomas to home school students. Local high schools do not award diplomas to home schooled students, nor do they normally recognize a students' home school experience to grant credits toward graduation. However, a school district may have other policies regarding course work done outside school. Please contact your resident district for information about types of course work that may be acceptable.

Student Records

The ESD does not maintain individual student files for home school students.  The student’s cumulative file is maintained by the last public school attended.


Home school students must obtain a Statement of Enrollment form from IMESD prior to receiving a driver’s permit or license. Please contact the IMESD well in advance to obtain the appropriate document. Statement of Enrollment form can be requested on the Home Schoool Site. https://homeschool.imesd.k12.or.us/

GED Release

Sixteen and seventeen year old home school students wishing to obtain a General Educational Diploma, must complete a GED Release form.  The form can be obtained by going to the Home School site and requesting it. Students must be registered at least three months prior to being released.https://homeschool.imesd.k12.or.us/


All inquiries regarding home school should be sent to homeschoolatimesd.k12.or.us or
Lizette Berryessa, Administrative Assistant

For more information about home schooling in Oregon, refer to ORS 339.035 at this link: Home School Laws in Oregon.

Frequently Asked Questions About Home Schooling

Home School Association Contacts